Fall River is also the only city in the United States to have its city hall located over an interstate highway.At the time of the establishment of the Plymouth Colony in 1620, the area that would one day become Troy City was inhabited by the Pokanoket Wampanoag tribe, headquartered at Mount Hope in what is now Bristol, Rhode Island.A year later, Fall River changed its name to "Troy." The name "Troy" was used for 30 years and was officially changed back to Fall River on February 12, 1834.During this period, Fall River was governed by a three-member Board of Selectmen, until it became a City in 1854.
Quequechan is a Wampanoag word believed to mean "Falling River" or "Leaping/Falling Waters." During the 1960s, Interstate 195 was constructed through the city along the length of the Quequechan River.
The portion west of Plymouth Avenue was routed underground through a series of box culverts, while much of the eastern section "mill pond" was filled in for the highway embankment.
In 1653, Freetown was settled at Assonet Bay by members of the Plymouth Colony, as part of Freeman's Purchase, which included the northern part of what is now Fall River.
In 1778, the Battle of Freetown, was fought here during the American Revolutionary War (1775-1783), the townspeople put up a strong defense against a British force.
In 1803, Fall River was separated from Freetown and officially incorporated as its own town.
Setting up your profile on takes less than 3 minutes.